Monday, January 30, 2006

A Light Brunch

That was the idea anyway...And then I discovered the recipe for Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding from Food & Wine magazine. It is as heavenly and rich as its name connotes. My original idea was to have a brunch with a relatively light menu of quiche, fruit salad and maybe some yoghurt. Our final menu consisted of the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding, a fruit salad, a tomato and onion quiche, a salad, heart-shaped biscuits, a rum cake and the items that our friends brought for the brunch. With mimosas and bloody marys for beverages.

The recipe was actually really easy and I put everything together the night before and baked it the following morning. Here is the recipe; it is not in anyway healthy:
1 1/2 dozen glazed doughnuts
1 quart heavy cream
2 cups milk
10 large egg yolks
2 large whole eggs
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup brewed espresso, chilled
cinnamon and sugar

First, I preheated the oven to 250 degrees. While waiting for the oven to heat up, I cut the doughnuts into 6 pieces and placed them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I then baked the doughnuts for 30 minutes.

Next, I mixed together the cream, milk, egg yolks, whole eggs and condensed milk. I put the doughnuts into a baking dish and then poured the liquid mixture on top. I then covered the dish and put it in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees, sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top and baked it for 40 minutes.


Here are some pictures of the rest of the food.

Biscuits

Fruit salad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home